A Metropolitan Police officer who sexually assaulted women over 17 years has been sacked by the force.
David Carrick, 48, admitted dozens of rape and sexual offences against 12 victims and was convicted on Monday, January 16.
The Met Commissioner, Sir Mark Rowley, has apologised for failings which allowed Carrick to offend, despite concerns being raised nine times.
At the same time, the Met said that it will look again at 1,000 plus officers involved in 1,600 allegations of sexual or domestic abuse in the past ten years.
Carrick was dismissed at a misconduct hearing on Tuesday, 17 January.
Met Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe said: “Carrick’s multiple convictions for multiple serious offences plainly discredits the police service and undermines public confidence in it.”
Carrick did not attend the hearing, did not respond to the disciplinary charges and did not have legal representation.
He pleaded guilty to six offences at Southwark Crown Court on Monday, and had already admitted 43 others in December.