Police seal off city in ‘serious incident’ – three dead

June 13, 2023


The centre of Nottingham has been sealed off by police over after what has been described as a ‘serious incident’ with reports of three people dead.

A man, aged 31, has been arrested and is in police custody.

The tram system is suspended and there is a large police and 999 crew presence.

Emergency service personnel wearing stab vests have been photographed inside the cordon.

A Nottinghamshire Police statement said: “A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after three people were killed in the city.

“Police were called to Ilkeston Road just after 4am where two people were found dead in the street.

“Officers were then called to another incident in Milton Street where a van had attempted to run over three people. They are currently being treated in hospital.

“A man has also been found dead in Magdala Road.

Police have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of murder and he remains in police custody.”

Chief Constable Kate Meynell said: “This is an horrific and tragic incident which has claimed the lives of three people.

“We believe these three incidents are all linked and we have a man in custody.

“This investigation is at its early stages and a team of detectives is working to establish exactly what has happened.

“We ask the public to be patient while inquiries continue. At this time, a number of roads in the city will remain closed as this investigation progresses.”

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was also in attendance assisting the police force.

Members of the public have been told to avoid the area and plan alternate routes.

Roads that are currently closed are:

-Ilkeston Road
-Milton Street
-Magdala Road
-Maples Street
-Woodborough Road (from junction of Magdala Road into the city)
-Maid Marian Way at the junction of Parliament Street

Tram service Nottingham Express Transit (NET) said all of its services had been suspended.

Unconfirmed social media reports suggest multiple hit and run incidents involving a van while others have mentioned stabbings.

GB News reported an eyewitness as saying: ‘We woke up this morning at 5:30am to what sounded like gunshots – we ran to the window and there was armed police coming out of an undercover car. The suspect was tasered and dragged out by them.’



Read Next

Security Journal UK

Subscribe Now

£99.99 for each year
No payment items has been selected yet