SJUK Masthead Black

UKHSA reports sharp rise in acute COVID-19 cases

July 1, 2022


The UK Health Security Agency (UHSA) has revealed that COVID-19 activity has increased in several indicators in week 25 of 2022.

The number of acute respiratory infection incidents (suspected outbreaks) increased in England to 382 in week 25, compared to 261 in the previous week.

Positivity for pillar one laboratory confirmed cases for week 25 was 6.0 per 100,000 population, a slight increase from 5.3 in the previous week.

The hospital admission rate for week 25 was 11.11 per 100,000 population, an increase from 7.98 in the previous week.

Hospital admission rates for COVID-19 remain highest in the North West, with a rate of 15.09 per 100,000 population.

Dr Mary Ramsay, Director of UKHSA Clinical Programmes, said:”We continue to see an increase in COVID-19 data, with a rise in case rates and hospitalisations in those aged 65 years and over, and outbreaks in care homes.

“We can also now see a rise in ICU admissions in older age groups.

“It’s reassuring that 83.5 per cent of people aged 75 and over have had a vaccine in the past 6 months but we urge the remaining 16.5% per cent, as well as those living in care homes or who are clinically vulnerable, to get their spring booster for protection against serious illness.

“Vaccination remains the best defence against severe disease and hospitalisation.

“COVID-19 has not gone away and we should all remember to keep up good hand and respiratory hygiene.

“It is also sensible to wear a face covering in crowded, enclosed spaces. If you have any symptoms of a respiratory infection, and a high temperature or feel unwell, try to stay at home or away from others – especially elderly or vulnerable people.”

Read Next

Security Journal UK

Subscribe Now

£99.99 for each year
No payment items has been selected yet